Do you suffer from SIBO?
Do you suffer from digestive complaints? Bloating that doesn’t seem to go away no matter what you eat? Cramping? Multiple food intolerances? Brain fog? Constipation? Exhaustion, Depression and anxiety? or Vitamin and mineral deficiencies? You may be suffering from a bacterial overgrowth known as SIBO.
What is SIBO?
What is SIBO exactly? SIBO stands for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, which means that the bacteria in your small intestine is out of balance. Most of our gut bacteria is meant to live in our large intestine and colon, where they break down food, synthesize vitamins, and eliminate waste. When these “healthy” bacteria that are normally found in the large intestine and colon move into the small intestine SIBO occurs, causing leaky gut, liver overload, poor immunity, and brain fog.
SIBO significantly impacts our digestion of food and absorption of nutrients because it damages the gut lining.
What are the symptoms of SIBO?
· Bloating, gas and cramping
· Vitamin and mineral deficiencies
· Depression and anxiety
· Exhaustion (from not absorbing key nutrients)
· Food intolerances such as gluten, casein, lactose, fructose, and histamine.
· Trouble digesting carbs and FODMAP foods.
· Illnesses such as fibromyalgia, diabetes and autoimmune diseases
· Rosacea and other skin rashes
· Joint pain
What causes SIBO?
· Anti-biotic use is a common cause of SIBO, even one dose can have an impact
· Birth control pills
· Overconsumption of alcohol, sugar and processed foods
· Medications such as ibuprofen
How can you test for SIBO?
SIBO can be tested by doing a breath test or a stool analysis.
Can SIBO be treated?
With the right treatment plan SIBO can definitely be eradicated so you can get back to feeling your best.
The first steps to getting rid of SIBO include:
· Starving the bad bacteria by removing foods such as sugar, alcohol and carbs
· Following a GAPs diet
· Attacking the bacteria with anti-microbial herbs
· Restoring the good bacteria and rebalancing the microbiome with probiotics
· Supporting the adrenals and thyroid with supplements and herbal remedies
· Lifestyle changes and stress management
If you think you might be suffering with SIBO and would like more info I’d love to hear from you.